For Square and Round Dancing in Canada, two licenses are required in order for us to use music at our dances.

Tariff 19 Licence form click here

We need a Tariff 19 Licence

. This is best obtained by the caller or cuer at an annual cost of $64.00 +Tax. This was negotiated by the CWDIA and Socan in 2003. If your caller or cuer is unwilling to get this licence, then the club itself should do so using the Socan formula and this will be more expensive.

As defined in the CWDIA/SOCAN agreement - a Tariff 8 licence is required.


To make everything very easy, Socan has appointed a representative to take care of all Canada’s Square and Round Dance SOCAN business.

Paul Tansey (Vancouver).
Toll Free: 1-855-957-6226 ext. 1622
Cell: 604-787-2012
To email click here: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

He can answer any questions you may have and also create a SOCAN ACCOUNT for your organization
(Club, Association, Federation, Society) and he will email you directly the necessary application(s) and form(s) and all relevant information.

For a pdf with more detail about licenses: click here

For more information about socan:

contact webmaster regarding log-in errors